Technical individuals in the computer, gaming, audio and video field whether they are content creators, enthusiasts, journalist or bloggers want a winner and end to this format war.
On the eve of CES 2008, Wanner Brothers movie studio who had been supporting both formats announced that they would be going to Blu Ray exclusively. HD DVD Consortium then canceled a early press event. A tech community wanting a winner, proclaiming a possible winner if not at least the front runner were embolded by the prompt tail-between-the-legs / take-my-ball-and-go-home feeling the HD DVD Consortiums cancellation instilled.
The wanters and waiters in the consumer realm were ecstatic. Here was enough reason to no longer wait and get that PS3 or other Blu ray player for the sole purpose that they wanted to flex that new 1080p HDTV's muscles.
The best bloggers and tech journalists have provided some reasons how blu ray can now clinch this "war". Here are mine in no particular order:
- Reduce license fees to all blu ray parties (device and studios)
- Reduce price of stand alone players
- Strike deals with the biggest retailers to sell ONLY blu ray moives.
- Release Blu ray blank media and burners for PC's Laptops
- Advertise as the winner. Americans love to be told what to think.